Cyrus n : Persian prince who was defeated in battle by his brother Artaxerxes II (424-401 BC) [syn: Cyrus the Younger]
EtymologyFrom Cyrus < (Kuros) < 𐎤𐎢𐎽𐎢𐏁 (kuruš). As a saints' name it has been identified by folk etymology with Greek kyrios "lord".
ancient king of Persia
male given name
- Patrick Hanks and Flavia Hodges: A Concise Dictionary of First Names. Oxford University Pres 2001.
It most commonly refers to Cyrus the Great, but has many other uses.
Persian monarchs and princes
- Cyrus I of Anshan (ca. 650 BC), King of Persia
- Cyrus II of Persia (559–529 BC) – also known as Cyrus the Great – the grandson of Cyrus I, an Achaemenid ruler and the founder of the Persian Empire
- Cyrus the Younger (died 401 BC), brother to the Persian King Artaxerxes
Other persons named Cyrus
- Cyrus of Alexandria, a Melchite Patriarch and co-founder of Monothelism
- Saint Cyrus, 4th century Coptic saint
- Cyrus Townsend Brady American journalist, historian and adventure writer
- Cyrus Broacha, MTV India VJ
- Cyrus S. Eaton, American banker, investor, and philanthropist
- Cyrus Field, American businessman who successfully laid the first transatlantic telegraph cable
- Cyrus Hamlin (general) Union General during American Civil War, son of Vice President Hannibal Hamlin
- Cyrus Leroy Baldridge, American artist, illustrator, author, and adventurer
- Cyrus McCormick, American inventor who developed the modern mechanical reaper
- Cyrus R. K. Patell, a literary and cultural critic.
- Cyrus Peirce, founder of first public normal school in America.
- Cyrus Poncha, National squash coach in India.
- Cyrus Sahukar, MTV India VJ
- Cyrus Rowlett Smith, U.S. Secretary of Commerce under president Lyndon B. Johnson.
- Cyrus Vance, U.S. Secretary of State under President James E. Carter.
- Cyrus E. Dallin, American sculptor
- Cyrus Simpson, the brother of Abraham Simpson in The Simpsons TV series
- Cyrus, a character in The Warriors (film)
- Cyrus, a character from Trailer Park Boys
- Cyrus (Chrono Trigger), a character in the video game Chrono Trigger
- Cyrus 'The Virus' Grissom, a character in the movie Con Air
- Cyrus, the boss of Team Galactic from Pokémon Diamond and Pearl
- Cyrus, lead and rhythm in the black metal band Susperia
- Syrus Truesdale of Yu-Gi-Oh! GX
Cyrus in Arabic: قورش
Cyrus in Danish: Kyros (flertydig)
Cyrus in German: Kyros
Cyrus in Spanish: Ciro
Cyrus in Persian: کوروش
Cyrus in French: Cyrus
Cyrus in Galician: Ciro
Cyrus in Kurdish: Kûruş
Cyrus in Dutch: Cyrus
Cyrus in Japanese: キュロス
Cyrus in Portuguese: Ciro
Cyrus in Finnish: Kyyros
Cyrus in Swedish: Kyros